New York’s first legal marijuana dispensary opened their doors in Greenwich Village at 4:20 pm Last Thursday. The line for the state’s first legal cannabis shop stretched all the way around the lot with customers waiting hours just to get some of the product.
The first official sale of the drug took place at 11:45 am Thursday morning following a press conference attended by Chris Alexander, the Office of Cannabis Management Executive Director.
Housing Works Cannabis Co is the official name of the first legal dispensary. Housing Works started their operations as a nonprofit working as a resource for people diagnosed with HIV and AIDS. The dispensary is located at 750 Broadway and is open from 11AM to 7PM daily.
Join us for the opening of the FIRST licensed retail cannabis dispensary in New York! 🌿💚
Where: 750 Broadway @ 8 St, Manhattan
RSVP here: https://t.co/2c5gsTfj4x
More info: https://t.co/bEBpmUKr3c pic.twitter.com/5FxjLSgsRY
— Housing Works (@housingworks) December 28, 2022
Currently, Housing Works is a cash only business with a long RSVP list of customers for the next few weeks, according to Sasha Nutgent, Housing Works Cannabis employee.
If you are looking to purchase weed at this new dispensary, keep in mind the following details for New York residents.
- Be prepared to show proof that you are 21 years of age or older
- There will be limitations on how much you can buy, depending on the product
- Initial menus and product offerings will be limited
- You cannot resell the cannabis products you buy
- In areas where tobacco smoking is prohibited, so is smoking pot
- Do not drive while under the influence of marijuana
- Keep the cannabis products you purchase within the state of New York, crossing state lines with marijuana is a federal offense
- Long lines are expected at the first dispensaries, so be ready to wait
New York’s State Cannabis Control Board has currently issued 36 additional conditional adult-use retail dispensary licenses. 139 more are expected to be issued in the coming months.
Read the whole article here.